Sunday, October 14, 2007

Love at First Sight

On the feast of Corpus Christi, I believe, there was to be a procession with the Blessed Sacrament around the grounds of the church basically. You've seen these in foreign countries before I'm sure where they are all so excited and joyous. I wanted to be part of it. I thought what a huge thing to bring Christ out of our church building and out to the world. I know of course we should be Christ-bearers each day. However, how awesome to let those who haven't yet believed in His presence see it, because surely they would be as captivated as I was.

In fact, I arrived a little tardy, and I parked and hopped out...walking as quickly as I could to front of church but was met with an incredible sight. I looked up to see the Blessed Sacrament right across the street from me being held high by Fr. Rodney....what on earth!!! I am not joking it was as if I heard "I've been waiting for you." It was a piercing look from the presence of the monstrance that penetrated my being. It was like seeing someone and experiencing love at first sight. I remember when I saw my husband that one day while we were dating, and I remember the overwhelming love I felt for him even at an early time when we were dating. It was that way with Jesus too. He saw me, He knew me, He loved me. He had been hoping I'd arrive to participate with everyone else. I was so glad to be able to be part of that procession. I did cry a little because I guess I was just overwhelmed at what it is, was, and will be forever.

The year before I was helping my mother during her knee surgery at the hospital. Things can get tense as with anyone in pain and in a hospital so I went to take a break down in the chapel. Oh man, I walked in and the Blessed Sacrament was there and I was so happy to be there. I was so tired I didn't know what to do, so I just sat and listened and prayed as I could. I just kept thinking that really this was unusual but it was just what I needed. I remember my eyes initially fixed though on the Presence. It was as though I was held for that period of time.

Jesus will grab you. If you have been going to adoration and haven't had this experience that is okay. Your experience will be your own with Jesus. Oh but treasure the time you spend with Him. Know how comforted He is by your company. Know how absolutely blessed you are to be in the presence of God Almighty who gave himself to us, through the body and blood of his only son, our Lord. That we might be able to persist each day, that He might be able to come to us in our worldliness, not in His Glory for we could not bear it. This we can touch, this we can take in, this is human.

In the new testament Jesus says, "Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man, you cannot have eternal life." I think that is it. I will confirm and update. I believe I'm right, so what did that mean? Jesus meant what he said as he so often did. I think when it came to divine matters of eternity and salvation Jesus didn't use descriptive or metaphoric tales. He spoke as God.

No comments: